Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 2- Dachau

May 16th- Dachau

I woke up Sunday feeling very tired and slightly hung over (wouldn't you after a few liters of beer?) It was time to visit Dachau...I knew it was going to be sad but I had no way of knowing just how sobering it would be.

There were only four of us who braved the trip despite the after-effects of our debauchery from the night before. It was a twenty minute train ride followed by a twenty minute bus ride but the experience was well worth the trip.

The camp was a lot larger than I expected. There were three bunkers still standing, one of which was reserved for special prisoners during the war. There was also another building which served as a museum, where there were a lot of gruesome pictures and a lot to read and take in.

We also saw the memorials for different faiths and the Nazi quarters. Lastly we saw the Crematoriums and gas chambers which were the hardest to walk through.

At the end, I bought a book about Dachau. I also got a lot of great pictures of the camp which I hope to use in more Holocaust memorial art that I hope to work on in the near future.

...

Later that night we went on a walking Bier Haus tour which was really interesting...we hit a few of the main bier haus' in Bavaria and saw how the process works.

It was another late night of drinking.

0 comments: